Updated: Sep 9, 2021
Coconut oil has been growing in popularity recently for its numerous benefits. Apart from the tropical taste it adds to your food, it’s also popular for its weight loss properties. It may sound weird how saturated fats may help you lose weight, but those who are on ketogenic diets may disagree with you. Researchers have found that coconut oil for weight loss is a viable addition to your diet since it contains certain fatty acids that help you to burn more calories and reduce belly fat. Let’s check out why coconut oil helps in weight loss:
1. A boost in metabolism means more calories burned - Your body responds in a unique way when you consume coconut oil. The medium-chain fatty acids and thermogenic oil inside coconut oil get sent directly to your liver to get converted into energy. They don’t circulate in your blood nor do they get stored as body fat. Studies also suggest that medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) in coconut oil can increase fa usage and boost your metabolism for higher calorie burning. That means you naturally lose more calories every day.
2. Energy boost - Everyone knows that you need to burn more calories than you consume to reduce fat and body weight. To achieve this, you go for the obvious physical route and sign up for yoga or Zumba classes or get a gym membership to swing around kettlebells, lift barbells and do insane cardio routines. Fantastic! You see all the pounds shed off. However, the reality is a bit different.
It’s difficult to get yourself off the couch and drag yourself to work out. Even if you do it in the beginning, you lose motivation and energy quickly until you have short blasts of exercise once in a while. That’s why gyms get a lot of new memberships during January and the crowd gets thinned out to normal levels after a couple of months. Coconut oil can help you avoid that. Research with MCFAs shows that they can increase your stamina and energy significantly so that you can work out regularly to shed those extra pounds. It can even help veterans since that energy boost helps you push yourself further and go that extra mile for better results.
3. Regulates blood sugar - Coconut oil can also help you regulate blood sugar and keep it at normal levels. Blood sugar monitoring isn’t just important for patients who suffer from diabetes. Irregular spikes or dips in blood sugar can be a barrier to weight loss. Adding coconut oil to your diet and consuming it before your workout can keep blood sugar levels in control and aid in weight loss.
4. It makes you feel full - Hunger pangs are pretty bad. Especially bad when you want to lose weight. There’s also that feeling of fullness. You may want to reach for snacks after a couple of hours of breakfast or when you have been up at night finishing your work on a project. You are forced to starve yourself or add a few hundred calories that weren’t planned for the day. This can be fixed with food that keeps you full for a longer period.
For instance, fiber, protein, and healthy fats are known to keep your tummy full for longer compared to carbs. Coconut oil has a ton of healthy fats and can get the job done. So, if you have a bowl of oatmeal as breakfast, consider adding a spoonful of coconut oil into that bowl. This makes your breakfast rich in protein, fiber, and healthy fats. If oats aren’t your thing you can use coconut oil to toast your bread and fry your eggs. You can even add it in small amounts to your coffee and smoothie.
5. Reduce belly fat - Belly fat is stubborn and your several efforts after searching for “how to reduce stomach fat” may have failed. Belly fat is uncomfortable, interferes with your fashion, and can be quite risky to your health. Unlike body fat in other sections, visceral fat stored in your midsection builds between your intestines and stomach. Visceral fat is dangerous since it is linked to several diseases like diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. Fortunately, coconut oil can help get rid of belly fat. Studies with coconut oil supplements on women have shown how effective it can be to fight against tummy fat.
6. Enhanced thyroid activity - Thyroid secretes hormones that regulate your metabolism. You may experience weight gain if you have an underactive thyroid. That’s why you should be careful with certain cooking oil since they can affect your thyroid activity. For instance, if you cook your food using oils that are rich in long-chain fatty acids (LCFAs), they get oxidized rapidly and the rancid remains in your body damage healthy cells and put a lot of pressure on the thyroid gland. Coconut oil does the opposite since it is rich in MCFAs and works as a potent antioxidant.
7. Improved Digestion - Studies throughout a long period have shown how easy it is to digest coconut oil. Since coconut oil has MCFAs that are smaller molecules than LCFAs, they are easier to break down. So your pancreas along with the rest of the digestive system doesn’t have to work as hard to digest the coconut oil. It also aids in inflammation and that’s why it is recommended for patients with colitis, gastronomical issues, and Crohn’s disease. With coconut oil, you can make you fix your sluggish digestive system so that it doesn’t become a hindrance to your weight loss routine. Nutrients that stimulate weight loss are absorbed easier and your intestines can easily break down food and get rid of toxic waste.
Weight and fat loss are one of the key benefits of adding Coconutty’s Extra Virgin Coconut Oil to your diet. Add it in moderation to your food so that you can shed those extra pounds, especially on the tummy faster and get the most out of your workout routine.