For hundreds of years, coconut oil has been used by several cultures around the world. It has shot back to popularity in recent times due to its proven health benefits discovered by several research studies. However, it’s the virgin coconut oil that’s getting more fame due to its amazing nutritional and health benefits.
What is Virgin Coconut Oil?
Virgin coconut oil, unlike the refined version, is cold-pressed directly from the coconut meat. Since it isn’t dried in the sun or processed in any way it retains a lot of healthy fatty acids and powerful antioxidants that are beneficial for your skin. It also has a pleasant aroma and milky appearance since it is extracted from the coconut milk pressed from the coconut flesh.
Uses of virgin coconut oil are vast and limitless. You aren’t just limited to skincare. You can also use it to enhance your metabolism, improve oral health, make healthy meals and even lose weight.
Benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil For Skin:
Skin benefits of coconut oil are numerous and it has the potential to be the one-stop miracle ingredient for your skincare. Let’s check them out:
1. Exfoliator - Coconut oil is a natural skin exfoliator that is gentle yet powerful. It can remove dead skin cells flawlessly to make you look more vibrant and youthful. It also clears up clogged pores to leave your skin more hydrated, soft, and supple. For great results, you can apply it all over your face and body and massage it with the help of a face cloth and circular motions. After a healthy massage session, you can rinse off the excess oil.
2. Softens your skin - Virgin coconut oil is a highly potent moisturizer. However, it’s best to use it over damp skin. Coconut oil works as a non-greasy coat of hydration on your skin and acts as a sealant that traps moisture and keeps it in the skin to keep it soft. You can apply it generously and rub it in so that all of it gets absorbed without any oily residue.
3. Antibacterial - Since virgin coconut oil doesn’t lose its nutrients in processing, it has great anti-bacterial traits. It is full of fatty acids that are key to maintaining healthy skin. Among its numerous short and medium-chain fatty acids and saturated fats, lauric acid is the most important one for giving the oil its antibacterial characteristic. Studies show that monolaurin that can be derived from lauric acid can work wonders to keep your skin protected from harmful fungal and bacterial activity. This allows you to also use coconut oil to relieve symptoms of acne.
4. Anti-inflammation - Refined coconut oil uses sodium hydroxide for longer shelf life. Virgin coconut oil doesn’t have any added chemicals and hence in its purest form can help you fight horrible inflammation on your skin. It can quickly penetrate your skin and inhibit the growth of microorganisms that can have a field day on your skin. You should keep a bottle of virgin coconut oil at ready and if you suffer from eczema, yeast infection, or ringworm you can apply it for quick relief. A little bit of the affected area can go a long way. You can also use it for relief from a burn or rash on your skin. Ingesting it regularly can also give your body a boost of anti-inflammatory agents for all-around protection.
5. Scalp health - An itchy scalp is annoying and embarrassing at times. You want to itch your scalp, but fear the flurry of dandruff that may be released as a consequence. Thankfully coconut oil can hello you deal with that. As mentioned before, coconut oil has antifungal properties and works as a potent moisturizer. So, when you apply it to your scalp regularly you can hydrate your scalp and prevent moisture loss to aid the growth of beautiful and strong hair.
To apply it to your scalp take a tablespoon of the virgin coconut oil and melt it at a very low temperature so that it doesn’t lose its potency. When the oil turns into liquid, apply it on your scalp evenly and massage it in for a few minutes. After that wrap your head in a towel for a couple of hours to let everything soak in.
6. Protection from the sun - You would be right to avoid oil when you want to protect yourself from sunburn. However, coconut oil has a natural SPF of 8 and that changes everything. The low SPF wouldn’t protect you from the harsh sun for prolonged hours. However, if you need to protect yourself from mild exposure, it’s a safe option.
If you already have a sunburn coconut oil can be a fantastic relief. It penetrates the skin fast and aids in quick repair so that you don’t have to suffer from the painful and itchy sensation. Keep a bottle of virgin coconut oil with you at all times when you visit the beach or on a particularly sunny day.
7. Lines and wrinkles - Virgin coconut oil can also help you to fight the signs of aging. It doesn’t just make your skin soft and supple but has skin rejuvenating properties. So as your skin’s ability to repair itself slows down over time, coconut oil can give the needed boost so that fine lines and wrinkles get diminished and you look younger. This is possible since coconut oil is rich in vitamin E and promotes collagen production.
8. Chapped lips - Since coconut oil works for dry skin, it can do the same for dry lips. Dab it on your lips to keep your lips hydrated and fresh. Moreover, virgin coconut oil uses also extend to cooking and it has a nice aroma. So, you don’t have to worry about ingesting it.
Now that you know about the amazing benefits of virgin coconut oil, you should order one for yourself to get beautiful, radiant, and youthful skin. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil from Coconutty is a great option that won’t disappoint.